1896: The Seal
In 1896, the Gamma Phi Beta seal was officially adopted. The earliest version of the seal was designed by a committee in 1875 and was described in the Constitution as “a monogram of the three Greek letters for Gamma, Phi, and Beta surrounded by symbols appropriate to the secret and open mottoes of the Sorority.”
Over time, the seal became less ornate, evolving into a set of three concentric circles with the three Greek letters in the center circle. In the middle circle are the words “Founded” on the top and “1874” on the bottom while the outer circle bears the words “Gamma Phi Beta” on the top and “Sorority” on the bottom. Adopted in 1896, this seal is still used today on all membership certificates.