1874: The Name Gamma Phi Beta
In 1874, Syracuse University was home to four male and one female fraternity, Alpha Phi. All of them were Greek-letter societies so the four Founders asked Chancellor Haven, who was a Greek scholar as well as a Latin professor, to suggest appropriate Greek letters for the newly formed College Literary Society.
From among his six suggestions, the ladies chose Gamma Phi Beta.
Gamma Phi Beta logo, c. 1900.