Upsilon Chapter freshmen as shown in The Crescent, January 1923.
Upsilon Chapter (Hollins)
Upsilon Chapter was installed at Hollins College in Virginia on June 1, 1916.
Upsilon Chapter (Hollins) was founded as Alpha of Phi Mu Gamma in 1898 before Hollins achieved collegiate rank. When the institutuion was granted full accreditation, a petition was sent requesting a charter for the local group. Emma F. Lowd (Boston, 1887) and Blanche Shove Palmer (Syracuse, 1878), members of New York Alumnae, highly recommended the charter grant. The installation service for 13 charter members for Upsilon Chapter (Hollins) was directed by Margaret Nachtrieb Kelley (Minnesota-Twin Cities). Members of Zeta Chapter (Goucher) and Alpha Chapter (Syracuse) were in charge of Initiation.
The record of Upsilon Chapter was outstanding with many honors in scholarship and activities, but in 1929 the administration at Hollins decided to abolish sororities and all the national organizations surrendered their charters.