Mu Chapter members as shown in The Crescent, June 1908.
Mu Chapter (Stanford)
Mu Chapter was installed at Stanford University in Stanford, California, on June 6, 1905. Mu Chapter closed on May 1, 1992.
Mu Chapter (Stanford) was organized as a local group called Gamma Beta in order to apply for a Gamma Phi Beta charter. Eunice Gray (Wisconsin-Madison, 1897), an alumna living in the vicinity, inspected the group and Eta Chapter (California-Berkley) strongly recommended favorable action. Fourteen charter members were initiated by Eunice Gray, assisted by Eta Chapter and four alumnae from Beta Chapter (Michigan), Gamma Chapter (Wisconsin-Madison) and Theta Chapter (Denver).
All nine National Panhellenic Conference organizations at the University voted to leave campus July 1, 1944, as a result of the decision by the Stanford Board of Trustees to purchase chapter facilities and maintain them under University supervision. Continuing the sororities was impossible under these conditions. No action was taken against men’s fraternities at that time.