Gamma Omega Chapter members posing with their new crest for their facility, 1971.
Gamma Omega Chapter (Wisconsin-Platteville)
Gamma Omega Chapter was installed at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville in Platteville, Wisconsin, on March 29, 1969.
The oldest local sorority on the campus of Wisconsin University-Platteville, founded in 1868, became the colony for Gamma Omega Chapter (Wisconsin-Platteville) of Gamma Phi Beta on January 5, 1969. The former members of Alpha Theta Chi became the first national Sorority on campus when members of Gamma Chapter (Wisconsin-Madison) came to conduct the pledge service. Director of Expansion Mary Babbitt Bilby (Arizona, 1941) was in charge of colonization and Field Secretary* Judy Ruhl O’Neill (Indiana) stayed with the colony until installation on March 29, 1969. Under the direction of International Ritual Chiarman** Marcella “Sally” Gray Cass (Iowa, 1934), and Mrs. Bilby, Gamma Chapter member initiated 28 members at Peace Lutheran Church. At the Pink Carnation Banquet that evening, Jean Lunowa Damm (Wisconsin-Platteville), chapter president, accepted the charter from Grand President*** Barbara Burns Hiscock (University of Washington, 1939).
*Field secretaries are now known as collegiate leadership consultants.
**International ritual chairman is now known as director of ritual.
***Grand President is now known as International President.