Beta Zeta Chapter (Kent State)
Beta Zeta Chapter was installed at Kent State University in Kent, Ohio, on October 25, 1947. Beta Zeta Chapter was closed on December 1, 1972.
Grand President Penelope Murdoch Simonson (California-Berkeley, 1909) presenting the Beta Zeta Chapter charter to Elizabeth “Betty” Hoy Kentosh (Kent State), 1947.
The Kent State campus was opened to National Panhellenic Conference organizations in 1947 and a local society, Theta Sigma Tau, was investigated by Ursula Smith Owen (Syracuse, 1918), director of expansion. Akron alumnae sponsored the group and installation followed in the fall. There were 29 charter members, two faculty members and seven alumnae initiated by members of Alpha Eta Chapter (Ohio Wesleyan) on October 25, 1947. The charter was presented by Grand President* Penelope Murdoch Simonson (California-Berkeley, 1909).
Conditions unfavorable to maintaining adequate membership caused the surrender of the Beta Zeta charter in 1972. Beta Zeta Chapter was closed on December 1, 1972.
*Grand President is now known as International President.