Beta Epsilon Chapter (Miami-Ohio)
Beta Epsilon Chapter was installed at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, on April 12, 1947.
Four of the original nine new members of Beta Epsilon chapter, 1947.
Beta Epsilon Chapter (Miami-Ohio) was colonized in 1946 through the efforts of Province* Director Martha Vinson Bernhard (Arizona, 1924) and a group of devoted Oxford alumnae directed by Mary Werts Beam (Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1922). Paul Beam, executive secretary of Phi Delta Theta Fraternity, secured the use of a room in the new Phi Delta Theta national headquarters building for a temporary meeting place for the new chapter. Installation ceremonies were held in the Memorial Presbyterian Church and the charter presented by Grand President** Penelope Murdoch Simonson (California-Berkeley, 1909). Twenty-two charter members and the wife of the president of the University were initiated by members of Alpha Eta Chapter (Ohio Wesleyan).
*Gamma Phi Beta reorganized its structure from Provinces to Regions in 2006.
**Grand President is now known as International President.