Gamma Sigma Chapter (Western Michigan)
Gamma Sigma Chapter was installed at Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo, Michigan, on January 13, 1968. Gamma Sigma Chapter closed on January 1, 1975.
Colonized on February 5, 1967, in the midst of a blizzard with a record 32-inch snowfall, the Sorority’s 83rd chapter was born, sponsored by Director of Expansion Elna Erickson Simons (Birmingham-Southern) and assisted by Traveling Secretary* Jean Cline (Kansas State). Kanley Chapel was the site of the Initiation of 58 new members on January 13, 1968, by the members of Beta Chapter (Michigan). Grand President** Ardis McBroom Marek (Northwestern, 1934) presented the charter of Gamma Sigma Chapter (Western Michigan) to Chapter President Ginger Hartsema (Western Michigan). Presenting her badge as a president’s badge, Pauline Kleinstuck Ihling (Michigan, 1912), pinned it on Ginger. The chapter was successful until conditions unfavorable to maintaining adequate membership resulted in the closing of Gamma Sigma Chapter in 1975.
*Traveling secretaries are now known as collegiate leadership consultants.
**Grand President is now known as International President.
Gamma Sigma Chapter’s first chapter president receiving her new member pin from a traveling secretary – now called collegiate leadership consultant – in 1967.