Some of Gamma Phi Chapter’s charter members at Installation in 1968.
Gamma Phi Chapter (Auburn)
Gamma Phi Chapter was installed at Auburn University in Auburn, Alabama, on May 4, 1968.
The colonization of Gamma Phi Chapter (Auburn), held on January 27, 1968, brought a special satisfaction to Director of Expansion Elna Erickson Simons (Birmingham-Southern), for that it meant that, once again, Gamma Phi Beta had a chapter in Alabama. Services were conducted by Beta Mu Chapter (Florida State). After a new member training period under the supervision of Bonnie Allen Williams (Oklahoma), field secretary*, 38 new members were initiated on May 4, 1968, in the quiet, stately sanctuary of Auburn’s First Presbyterian Church by the installing team of Gamma Xi Chapter (Tennesee-Knoxville) members, assisted by Beta Mu Chapter, Gamma Alpha Chapter (Memphis) and Alpha Theta Chapter (Vanderbilt). The new initiates were honored at a formal banquet at the University Motor Lodge at which the Chapter President Nancy Roper Setzer (Auburn) accepted the charter from Grand President** Ardis McBroom Marek (Northwestern, 1934). An unprecedented combination of 14 Gamma Phi Beta mother-daughter combinations were introduced that evening.
*Field secretaries are now known as collegiate leadership consultants.
**Grand President is now known as International President.