Delta Mu Chapter (Rutgers)
Delta Mu Chapter was installed at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey, on April 23, 1977.
More than 200 years after the founding of Rutgers in 1766, a local sorority, Delta Beta Psi, became the Delta Mu Chapter (Rutgers) of Gamma Phi Beta, making it the first National Panhellenic Conference chapter at the university. The Director of Expansion Roberta Reid Moore Sorensen (University of Washington) was responsible for the November 22, 1976, pledging and Collegiate Consultant* Karen Hedine (University of Washington) remained to suprvise the training of the colony.
Delta Mu Chapter members selling carnations for Valentine’s Day.
On April 23, 1977, Delta Mu was installed by Elizabeth Sloan Phillips (Washington University), Alumnae Vice President, at the New Brunswick Hilton Hotel. There were 26 collegians and seven local alumnae that were initiated by Alpha Chapter (Syracuse) members at the installation service conducted by International Ritual Chairman** Marian Corley Hulsey (Oklahoma City). At the Pink Carnation Banquet at the Elks Club, Mrs. Phillips presented the Delta Mu charter to Diane Todd-Sprague, chapter president. Alumnae Field Representative Katherine Nordeen Snyder (Drake) organized the day’s events.
*Collegiate consultants are now known as collegiate leadership consultants.
**International ritual chairman is now known as director of ritual.