Alpha Kappa Chapter (Manitoba)
Alpha Kappa Chapter was installed at the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg, Manitoba, on June 5, 1925. Alpha Kappa Chapter was closed on June 25, 1975.
There were no sororities on the Manitoba campus when a local group organized as Alpha Omega and petitioned Gamma Phi Beta for a charter. The petition was granted and the group became the first National Panhellenic Conference sorority at Manitoba and our second Canadian chapter.
The group of 38 women were installed by Grand President* Millicent Lees Hoffman (Minnesota-Twin Cities, 1906), International officers Katherine Silverson (Minnesota-Twin Cities, 1903) and Margaret Nachtrieb Kelley (Minnesota-Twin Cities, 1910), and a visiting group of Kappa Chapter (Minnesota-Twin Cities) members. Conditions unfavorable to maintaining adequate membership caused the surrender of the Alpha Kappa Chapter (Manitoba) charter in 1975.
*Grand President is now known as International President.
Alpha Kappa Chapter members in 1958. New members are shown in white shirts and initiated members are shown in black shirts.