Initiated Member Experience
Fidelity for Initiated Members
All members will participate in ongoing educational programming known as Fidelity for Initiated Members. The following list of programs that all members participate in annually and a brief description of what she’ll learn.
- Describe the term “social network.”
- Define networking.
- Discuss what it means to have a social network with both breadth and depth.
- Identify strategies for strengthening and expanding social networks.
- Define and provide examples of emotional intelligence.
- List three ways to strengthen emotional intelligence.
- Review Gamma Phi Beta’s Policy on Alcohol.
- List ways to be a respectful social event attendee.
- Define bystander and define active bystander.
- Discuss the importance of bystander intervention.
- Review bystander intervention strategies and how to intervene safely.
Personal PR and Social Media
- Define character.
- Define reputation.
- Discuss the differences between character and reputation.
- Examine the role character plays in strengthening chapter sisterhood.
- Explore what it means to care personally and challenge directly.
Hazing and Harassment
- Review the Policy on Hazing.
- Review the Policy on Personal Conduct.
- Define power and define power dynamics.
- Articulate why discussing power dynamics is an important step to prevent hazing and harassment in Gamma Phi Beta.
- Discuss signs of healthy power dynamics.
- Define groupthink and define what it means to have diversity of thought.
- Discuss how diversity of thought can help eliminate groupthink.
Diversity and Inclusion
- Review demographics of today’s Gamma Phi Beta member.
- List benefits of diversity in organizations.
- Review Gamma Phi Beta’s position statements on non-discrimination and eligibility for membership.
- Define belonging.
- Discuss the role belonging plays in diversity and inclusion.
- Explore whether you create an environment of belonging or exclusion.
- Identify behaviors that cultivate feelings of belonging or exclusion.
Building Strong Girls
- Define active citizenship.
- List characteristics of an active citizen.
- Discuss why being an active citizen is important to your membership in Gamma Phi Beta.
- Define philanthropy through service and fundraising.
- Examine the differences between service and fundraising through an example of Gamma Phi Beta’s commitment to Building Strong Girls.
REAL Leadership is Gamma Phi Beta’s approach to developing our members into responsible, ethical, authentic and lifelong leaders. We offer programming designed to develop leaders at different stages in their Gamma Phi Beta membership.
REAL Leadership ExperienceThis award-winning four-day retreat-style leadership experience provides first- and second-year members ready to take the next step in their leadership journey with the skills and confidence they need to tackle leadership positions. This event happens annually in July.
REAL Leadership ConferenceThese region-specific conferences bring newly-elected executive councils from different chapters together for a weekend and prepares them to feel confident about their individual roles and leading their chapter as a team.
Officer TrainingOfficer 101s and 201s provide on-demand online trainings for chapters officers which are less than 20 minutes and provide information to help them in their individual roles.
Philanthropy and Service
Gamma Phi Beta is passionate about Building Strong Girls because girls today face more challenges than ever, making the need for a safe place with supportive mentors even greater. Gamma Phi Beta chapters host a Moonball event annually to support our philanthropic partner Girls on the Run.
Girls on the Run
Girls on the Run was established with the help of 13 brave girls and has grown to more than 225 councils in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. They have the largest 5k events in the country with the Girls on the Run 5k series and launched a middle school program, Heart and Sole, dedicated to the unique needs of adolescent girls. Their mission is to inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running.
Moonball is Gamma Phi Beta’s signature philanthropy event that raises funds to support our Philanthropic partner, Girls on the Run. Moonball is a kickball, volleyball or basketball tournament that is hosted by every collegiate chapter annually. Students, faculty, alumnae and community members are invited to participate.