BETA SIGMA CHAPTER (WASHINGTON STATE)
Beta Sigma Chapter was installed at Washington State University in Pullman, Washington, on March 5, 1955.
Gamma Phi Beta had approved Washington State University as an expansion field several years before the college Panhellenic offered and opportunity to colonize a chapter. The group was organized with the help of past Grand President* Lois McBride Dehn (University of Washington, 1913) and past Chairman of Expansion Emmy Schmitz Hartman (University of Washington, 1912). They were assisted by Mary Jane Hipp Misthos (Colorado College) and Province** Director Marjorie Giese Koppe (Oregon State, 1929), as well as alumnae from Pullman and Spokane. Installation took place on March 5, 1955, with Grand President Elizabeth Fee Arnold (Colorado State, 1923) as the installing officer and Xi Chapter (Idaho) performing the Initiation ritual. There were 26 collegiate women who became charter members of Beta Sigma Chapter (Washington State). Seven alumnae women were also initiated.
*Grand President is now known as International President.
**Gamma Phi Beta reorganized its structure from Provinces to Regions in 2006.
Beta Sigma Chapter members at their facility’s groundbreaking in 1958.