What is Convention?
Gamma Phi Beta hosts an international Convention biennially (every other year on even numbered years). The theme of our 78th Convention is It Starts With Us as we meet in the heart of Dallas, Texas. Convention is an opportunity to gather as sisters, conduct Sorority business, enhance our leadership skills, celebrate our ritual and let our sisterhood shine.
Who should go to Convention?
Everyone! Convention is open to everyone who loves Gamma Phi Beta! Collegiate and alumnae chapter officers, advisors, affiliated house corporation board leaders and members who simply want to connect to the Sorority in meaningful ways should plan for great workshops, presentations and fun. Each collegiate chapter and alumnae chapter is expected to send a delegate. Convention is also a wonderful opportunity for emerging leaders in your chapter to network, meet sisters from all over the continent and get a big picture view of Gamma Phi Beta.
Why should I go to Convention?
In addition to being held in the great city of Dallas, the Convention schedule will be jam packed with Sorority business, educational events, ritual, sisterhood and fun!
I have already registered for Convention but need to add my flight details into the system. How do I do this?
- Log into your registration using your GammaPhiBeta.org username and password.
- Click on My Registration at the top of the page.
- You should now be viewing your current registration. Go to More Options with a pop-up menu and select Manage Travel & Housing.
- Click on Add Air Actuals.
- You will now be able to add your arrival and departure flights for Convention!
What does the full registration fee include?
The full registration fee includes all complimentary airport shuttles on arrival and departure day, signature Convention programming, group meals, inspirational speakers and of course, the official Convention hat and tote bag. If you are registering in another capacity, please refer to your specific registration type for what is included.
How do I know what registration type to select?
Suggested guidelines are as follows:
- Alumnae Chapter Delegate – You have been selected by your alumnae chapter to represent them as their chapter delegate at Convention.
- Collegiate Chapter Delegate - You have been selected by your collegiate chapter to represent them as their chapter delegate at Convention.
- Foundation Trustee/FMC Board – You currently hold a position as a Foundation Trustee and have been invited to attend Convention.
- General Attendee, Alumna – You are an alumna of Gamma Phi Beta and would like to attend the entire Convention experience.
- General Attendee, Alumna Alternate Delegate - You have been selected by your alumnae chapter to represent them as their alternate delegate at Convention.
- General Attendee, Authorized Volunteer Leader – You are a current volunteer leader and have been formally invited by International Council to attend Convention.
- General Attendee, Chapter Advisor – You are a current chapter advisor or advisory board member and would like to attend the full Convention with your chapter.
- General Attendee, Collegian – You are a current collegiate member of Gamma Phi Beta and would like to attend the full Convention with your chapter sisters.
- General Attendee, Collegiate Alternate Delegate - You have been selected by your collegiate chapter to represent them as their alternate delegate at Convention.
- General Attendee, Local Committee Volunteer – You have been approved by the local committee to volunteer at Convention.
- International Headquarters/Foundation Staff – You currently hold a position at International Headquarters and have been approved to attend Convention.
- Partial Registration, Alumna – You are an alumna of Gamma Phi Beta and are unable to attend all of Convention but would like to purchase single tickets to attend business sessions or meal events.
- Partial Registration, Collegian – You are a current collegiate member of Gamma Phi Beta and are unable to attend all of Convention but would like to purchase single tickets to attend business sessions or meal events.
- Partial Registration, Unauthorized Volunteer Leader – You are a current volunteer leader and would like to attend Convention as a subsidized attendee.
- Vendor – You are attending Convention as an official sponsor or guest speaker.
What is a Business Session attendee?
If you are not a full-time registrant and would like to attend the business sessions, you will need to purchase a business session pass. This pass will provide you entrance to all business sessions and ritual events Wednesday through Saturday. This does not give you entrance to any educational sessions or meal events. Meal tickets can be purchased separately.
My chapter’s funds are not sufficient to be able to cover my registration costs for Convention. How do I apply for a scholarship in order to attend?
Click here to apply for a Convention registration scholarship. This will cover your registration costs only and will not include your costs for flights and hotel. All submissions are due by March 7 to be eligible for consideration. Selected chapters will be notified by Friday, March 30.
I registered for Convention and selected Billhighway but my chapter’s account doesn’t reflect the fees owed. What do I do?
Please be patience as our registration system and Billhighway are not connected and it takes between five and seven business days for this billing to reflect in your account. Please check back and if you do not see the charges after 10 business days, please contact our Accounting Department.
What do I need to do to prepare for Dallas weather?
Temperatures average 92 degrees for the high and 70 degrees for the low. We recommend dressing in layers as hotel meeting rooms can be cold. Bring an extra sweater or light jacket.
What time do I need to arrive on Wednesday, June 27?
The Welcome Dinner begins at 6 p.m. Volunteer leaders and chapter advisors should arrive in time to attend the Volunteer Reception at 4 p.m. and all chapter delegates should plan to attend the processional practice at 4:30 p.m.
What time is the last event on Saturday, June 30?
The last event is our Pink Carnation Banquet which begins at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday.
Is there anything happening on Sunday, July 1?
No, however, we have compiled a list of the many things you can see and do in Dallas! We encourage you to enjoy the day with your fellow sisters and explore the Dallas area.
I can only be there for part of Convention. May I register for part-time attendance?
Yes! Because each day is different at Convention, you may register for each individual day that you are able to attend. The cost for each day covers the appropriate meals and programming for the day. You may indicate if you would like to purchase the official tote bag separately. This registration type is not open to delegates as they must attend the entire Convention.
I registered for Convention and can no longer attend. My chapter would like to send another member in my place, how can I make a substitution on my registration?
Click here and enter the current registration name and the confirmation number that you received when you registered. At the top of the page you will see “More Options.” Click this and select “substitute registration.” You will then be prompted to enter in the new attendee information. Please make sure to either work in tandem with the new attendee or forward them these instructions to complete the substitution on their own. This will ensure we are collecting accurate attendee information for the new registrant.
May I bring a non-member guest to the Convention?
You are welcome to bring a non-initiated member or spouse to any of the evening meals at Convention. Pricing for the meals is included in the guest registration form. All other programming is reserved for full-time and part-time registrants.
I have special dietary needs. Who do I contact?
Please make a note on your registration form that you require special dietary consideration. All information will be passed along to the hotel banquet staff. You will also be provided an allergy card in your registration packet. You will be expected to bring this card to all meal functions to identify yourself to hotel staff.
I would like to volunteer to help before and/or during the Convention. How do I volunteer?
Gamma Phi Beta could not provide such a high-quality event without the dedication of our numerous volunteers. We welcome any type of help. Please contact 2018 Convention Arrangements Chairwoman Jeannie Deakyne for more information.
How do I make hotel reservations?
Hotel reservations are made directly with the Hyatt Regency Dallas by clicking here. Gamma Phi Beta members enjoy special event pricing for the sleeping rooms from June 23 to July 2, 2018. You may also contact the hotel directly at 214.651.1234 and mention that you are with the Gamma Phi Beta Convention.
I need to make a change to my hotel reservations. Who do I contact?
Please contact the Hyatt Regency Dallas hotel at 214.651.1234 if you need to make any changes to your reservation. You can reserve your accommodations directly with the Hyatt Regency Dallas by calling Central Reservations at 1.888.421.1442 and referring to Gamma Phi Beta 2018 Convention or by clicking here. You may use this link to book, modify or cancel your reservations at any time.
What time is check in and check out for the hotel?
Check in time for the hotel is 3 p.m. and check out is noon.
What is the schedule for each day of the Convention?
Each day of the Convention is jam packed with activities. Please click here for a schedule overview. The detailed schedule will be provided to you at registration.
What should I pack and what should I plan to wear?
For a complete list of items to bring and clothing to wear, click here.
Do I need to bring extra spending money to the Convention?
Bring some extra money for meals on your own, to support the Foundation and shop Crescent Corner.
How do I make reservations for ground transportation from the airport to the hotel?
You may sign up for complimentary shuttle service at registration. Once you are registered, your arrival shuttle information will be emailed to you prior to Convention. Your departure shuttle time will be provided to you at registration.
If you are arriving or departing outside of the complimentary shuttle hours, you must arrange your own airport transportation. Super Shuttle, a 24-hour shared-ride van service, is available from DFW and Love Field to and from the hotel. Reservations are suggested and the cost is $34.20 roundtrip from DFW or $17.10 one-way, and $28 roundtrip from Love Field or $14 one-way when you book using our discount code, 37M2N. You can book your reservation by clicking on the provided link or calling 1.800.Blue Van (258-3826).
I am a volunteer leader, do I need to make my own hotel reservations?
Your double occupancy hotel room is included in your registration fee, so please do not book hotel separately. Rooms will be pre-assigned.
What are the policies and guidelines for delegates to the Convention?
Click here for Convention Delegate information.
What is the alcohol policy at Convention?
In keeping with Gamma Phi Beta’s policy, alcoholic beverages will not be served at Sorority functions. No alcohol may be brought in by individuals, even those over age 21, to any official function, including meals.
How will seating at the Pink Carnation Banquet be coordinated?
Once registration is complete onsite, the Registration Desk will be converted to the Pink Carnation Seating Chart Desk. Make sure to visit us early to select your seat! All seats must be selected by Friday at 6:30 p.m. or you will be assigned a seat. You will receive a Pink Carnation Banquet seating chart card in your registration packet. Please fill out this card and present it at the Pink Carnation Seating Chart Desk. You may collect the cards from you friends/sisters to turn them all in together. This will alleviate each individual having to stand in line to select a seat. Hours for seat selection will be strictly adhered to and are as follows:
- Wednesday 6-11:30 p.m.
- Thursday 7-8:30 a.m., 4:30-6:30 p.m. and 9:30-10:30 p.m.
- Friday 12-2 p.m. and 5-6:30 p.m.
This is my first Convention, what else do I need to know?
Gamma Phi Beta Convention is a special experience and we are excited to have you attend. Please review all the website pages so that you are aware of all that is available. Gamma Phi Beta delegates conduct the Sorority’s business and make important decisions during Convention. Plan to observe all the Business Sessions to see the decision making in action. In addition, the hat parade at the Confirmed Conventioneers dinner is a time-honored tradition and celebration of your membership and sisterhood. Each member places one pink carnation on their hat for each Convention attended. Members with five or more pink carnations may participate in the parade. Look for the sister with the most carnations as we celebrate lifetime commitment!
None of my questions are addressed here. Who do I contact?
If you have further questions about Convention, please contact Director of Conferences and Meetings Page Adams at 303.799.1874 ext. 322.Wednesday 6-11:30 p.m